Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, June 7, 2014

all abilities park...

Yesterday, Grace went on a field trip to a local park which has an amazing all-abilities playground.  It has definitely been added to our family's summer fun list of things to do this summer. 




 Kerr Memorial Park looks amazing.  The all-abilities play ground boasts many awesome adaptations to allow all kids to play together.  Here is a list from the website:

~ 100% accessible by Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards
~ Extensive system of ramps and transfer stations

~
Smooth surface compressed rubber shock-absorbent tiles under all play equipment
~ Abundance of ground level play opportunities
~ Themed imaginative play structures – castle, fort and fire truck
~ Separate toddler area
~ Swing set including tot swings, belt swings and high-back special needs swings
~ Double and triple-wide slides
~ “Monkey bars” complete with lower sections for wheelchair users
~ 12,000 square feet of play space fenced for safety
~ Patios, benches and planters integrated into play area
~ Beautifully landscaped
~ Surrounded by mature shade-trees
~ Located adjacent to covered picnic pavilion, approved ADA-compliant restroom
~ Access to parking lot and other park features via paved paths




Having a child with special needs sometimes makes doing the ordinary very complex or difficult.  We can't really do spontaneity.  It takes too much planning and preparation to ensure that our child is ready, will have fun and is able to go where we want to go.  So, things that many families take for granted like going to the park requires planning and preparation. 

This park is probably about 45 minutes from our home.  Those of you who know me in real life know I have no sense of direction or really how long it will take to get anywhere, so I usually say it is going to take 20 minutes.  So with that said, I looked this park up and it really is about 45 minutes away.  But it looks like a great option for our family on a day when we don't really have anything planned and the kids need to get out of the house. 

Plus, based on this picture, it looks like sister had a great time there yesterday...


I love this picture for so many reasons but my top two are 1) that is not the outfit I sent Grace to school in (and I have no idea why she is wearing a different outfit) but I love it and have added jeggings to my list of things to buy her for next year .  And 2) every time Regina, her teacher, sends me a picture of Grace I write a blog post just so I can include the picture.  I do it because I know that the teachers, therapists and others at her school read my blog and me makes me smile.  I try to do something every day that makes me smile.

Hope you are having an awesome weekend!  We are off to a farm to meet some animals and then out to eat.  My goal for the weekend is to eat more meals out than I prepare...

Photobucket

No comments: