Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

homemade blender salsa (paleo and gluten free)...

It's Cinco de Mayo!  So in honor of the holiday, I'm making homemade blender salsa.  It is so good and easy.  It goes perfect with chips and all Mexican food really.  It is the perfect thing to make for your Cinco de Mayo party or for a regular weekday meal. 

I actually had no idea what Cinco de Mayo celebrated so I had to look it up.  As you may have already known, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1962. 

I'm sorry to say that I just use it as a reason to make mexican food and eat lots of guacamole and salsa.  Actually, I don't need a reason for that and we typically eat some version of mexican food at least once a week.  And I think adding salsa and guacamole to any meal makes it better...



Here is my version of homemade blender salsa.  I know, I know, there are so many good salsas in the stores you can buy but try making your own.  It's easy.  It's fast.  And best of all, you control the ingredients.  So you know exactly what and how much is going into your food.  I love that about making my own food.

Homemade Blender Salsa (paleo and gluten free)

3 Cups fresh, local and/or organic tomatoes (if you can't find good quality fresh tomatoes, use 2 14.5 oz cans of high quality canned organic)
1 bunch of Cilantro, with the stems removed
1/2 sweet pepper, use red, orange or yellow or whatever you have on hand
1/2 sweet onion
1 clove garlic
1 jalapeno pepper (you can adjust the heat by removing the stems and seeds)
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp salt

Put all the ingredients into your blender and blend until you reach the desired consistency.  My family doesn't like a real chunky salsa so I blend mine a little more so it is smoother.

Notes:

You can adjust the ingredients to suit your tastes.  For example if you don't like cilantro (which I can't imagine but I've heard such people are out there), you can omit it all together.  For hotter salsa add more jalapeno.  You get the idea.

For a sweeter salsa, add up to 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen pineapple.  If you want a really sweet salsa I would omit the jalapeno and just add the pineapple.

This salsa keeps in the fridge up to 7 days in an air tight container.

I like to put this salsa on pretty much everything I eat - on my scrambled eggs, on my salads instead of dressing, on my tacos or other mexican foods and of course chips.  Right now I'm not eating processed foods so I am using plantain chips instead of corn or tortilla chips.


Obviously, this picture has nothing to do with Cinco de Mayo or salsa but it sure is cute.  John is holding Kenzie our 10 week old border collie mix puppy.  The puppies are a lot of work, but we love them.





Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Photobucket

No comments: